0

A Humble Brag (if there is such a thing)

It's no secret Sam and I are frugal.  I mentioned it briefly on my Black Friday post, but I am beyond excited about our most recent savings on gas.


I realize prices here in central Georgia are pretty good compared to lots of places around the country, but I have to say, I haven't paid this price since the early 2000's.  It's been nearly a decade.

We got this discounted price thanks to ciphering and calculating, and an ingenious plan of Sam's.  I made the shopping lists for Black Friday complete with price lists.  Just before we left, Sam said, "Let's stop at Kroger and buy gift cards."

That was the ingenious part.  We prepaid for our shopping spree with giftcards purchased at Kroger for 4x the fuel points, a promo that they started just before Black Friday.  The normal deal is that for each dollar spent in Kroger, you get 1 point towards discounted gas.  When you accumulate 100 points, you get 10 cents off per gallon.  Right now, for every $1 spent on giftcards, you get four points towards discounted fuel.  That means a $25 giftcard earns you 10cents off per gallon.  Every $250 in giftcards earns $1 off per gallon (this is the max discount).  We managed to get an additional 10cents on top of the $1 because of another promotion for having and using a Kroger credit card to pay for gas.

We took both vehicles and two gas cans, and walked away with every drop of the 35 gallon maximum they would allow us for the amazing price of $1.98/gallon.  We saved $38.50 in gas on that $250 giftcard purchase, which works out to an additional 15% savings on top of our mad Black Friday shopping skills.

I'm not sure if you can tell how exciting this was for me.  Apparently, saving money is my drug.

I think you should try it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Before you go, I'd love to hear from you! Let me know what's on your mind! (Please and thank you.)

Back to Top