3

The Dusty Corner of my Closet

In the interest of full disclosure, I should tell you that all of the corners of my closet are actually dusty.

Phew.  I feel better now.

It occurred to me the other day, as I was getting ready for church, that I have only a handful of winter clothes into which I fit and about which I feel comfortable wearing in public.  I run through the mental inventory I keep, making sure I didn't wear the exact same thing around the same people a week before as a prerequisite to getting dressed.

(These are the things I worry about.  *shaking head at self*)

I don't know what made me realize it all of the sudden or why I didn't realize it sooner, but there is an excellent reason why I don't fit into or feel comfortable in the majority of my winter clothes.

 
Her name is Sarah.

This time last year I was proudly sporting my 2nd trimester belly.  As is often the case with subsequent pregnancies, I popped almost as soon as I got my big fat positive with Shep3.  There was no denying that there was a little bundle of joy growing in there.

Despite the fact that I am below my pre-pregnancy weight with Sarah, my body is not the same.  Motherhood changes your shape.  It shifts things here and there.  It can make your feet grow, your hips spread, your belly jiggle.  You know, all of that fun stuff.  For me, it apparently makes my torso grow, as almost none of my shirts seem to be long enough anymore.  (Either that or motherhood and "old age" has made me less willing to bare any part of my midsection even if only for a split second.)

 
(Look!  I found this helpful diagram to illustrate what a torso is for you all, complete with arrows!  All it needs are some words on the side exclaiming about its excessive length.  Maybe, "Dang girl!  That's a LONG torso!" or perhaps, "Whoa, make that girl a longer shirt!")

At any rate, the winter clothing section of my closet is rather dusty from not being used since the winter of 2007-2008.  

I reread my 101 list this weekend and remembered that cleaning out my closet was one of the items (#45 ~ Fit into or give away all of the clothes in my closet).  I am dreading this one, but am beginning to think I need to just pull the trigger and get it done (git 'er done?).  Would you believe I held onto some of my favorite pre-Ben clothes thinking I'd wear them again someday?  Yes.  It is most definitely time to Operation Clean-Sweep my clothes closet.  (Just in time to capitalize on end-of-winter clearance deals!)  Wish me luck!

P.S.- In the interest of full disclosure, I want to be absolutely sure you know that I hold no resentment towards Sarah (and Abby & Ben) for changing my shape.  I love the miracles my body has hosted and brought into this world.

 

3 comments:

Sara said...

I'm also back to my pre-pregnancy weight and all my shirts are too short also. Thought it was just me...

Aneesa said...

Same here! All my shirts look like baby gap shirts now! I'm back to regular weight too, but how did my torso get longer??? Nice to know I"m not alone in this odd scenerio.

Elizabeth said...

A hint as to why your shirts are probably too short--all the wonderful milk you're making for Sarah! I've heard rumors than when you stop breastfeeding your torso will magically shrink again but I'm not sure I believe it. And in the meantime I'd like to tell myself it's because I have big breasts that my shirts don't fit :)

Post a Comment

Before you go, I'd love to hear from you! Let me know what's on your mind! (Please and thank you.)

Back to Top