0

Things Great & Small...God Bless Us, Every One

Something occurred to me today as I popped my Poptart in the new toaster at work.  I was thinking about how I'm grateful for Poptarts.  Then I thought about how I'm grateful for a new toaster that seems far less likely to cause the building to burn down than the old one.  As I was contemplating those seemingly insignificant things, I realized there had been no Great List of 2009.  No "I'm thankful for the following:" list.   I don't think I can call 2009 "complete" until it happens.

So it's happening now.

Or a few moments from now, after I share with you something that my husband informed me of the other day.  It was either super late and we were trying to fall asleep or it was really early and we had just woken up.  Either way, I was rambling on and on about various, unrelated nonsense while he was barely coherent.  He said to me, "Your mind just races, doesn't it?"  The answer is yes.  I am constantly thinking.  I am unable to shut my brain off.  It's no doubt why I have trouble sleeping, why I get so worried/stressed about things, why I make list after list after list out of fear that I will forget something important.  It's what I'm pretty sure is the very nature of a Type-A personality.

With that, I give you my list o' things both great and small for which I am thankful/by which I consider myself blessed.  (And because my mind will likely be racing whilst I compile it, you've been forewarned that it will probably be like witnessing a word association game inside my head, that I'm transcribing for you all to read.)

101 Things for which I'm Thankful/by which I am Blessed
  1. My morning Poptart at work
  2. A functioning, non-hazardous toaster
  3. Surprise Dunkin' Donuts giftcards "just because"
  4. The mischievous grin Abby gives me after she knows she's done something bad
  5. Friends with kids of similar ages to mine
  6. An office configuration that allows me to leave Facebook open all day without fear of someone walking by and spotting it
  7. A huge monitor behind which I can hide when I read something that makes me a little teary at work
  8. A tech-savvy husband who even attempts to rescue crashed hard drives
  9. A kitchen-savvy husband who makes delicious meals just for fun
  10. A kid-savvy husband who seems to always be able to find the appropriate method of distraction, discipline, or TLC that the situation requires
  11. Christianity.com's awesome Bible in 365 Days format
  12. The fact that I still have a job, the future outlook of which is less grim than even a month ago
  13. The Negative Nellies & Debbie Downers that I encounter each day as a reminder of what not to be like
  14. The thumb button on my mouse that allows me to go "Back" with ease
  15. Propel Vitamin Enhanced Water Beverage that has replaced Coca-Cola in my daily diet
  16. A Christian boss who values above all else God and family
  17. Dave Ramsey and his baby steps
  18. Common sense
  19. The fact that even though most of the time my first impressions are dead on, sometimes they're not.  
  20. A husband who finds the positive in everything
  21. A successful seven months (and counting) nursing Sarah
  22. A building full of childcare workers that leave me with a feeling of complete peace when I leave for work
  23. The model of marriage that my parents and in-laws provide
  24. A super smart six year old boy that finds learning exciting
  25. Our central vacuum system
  26. Orbit gum
  27. Mixed nuts...literally.  Mostly walnuts, pecans, cashews, hazelnuts & pistachios
  28. A commute less than ten minutes long
  29. That I am finally acclimating to the Georgia climate
  30. The useless movie/television quotes embedded in my brain that creep up at the most opportune moments
  31. The music my father listened to while I was growing up
  32. Baking
  33. The excitement in my childrens' eyes over life's little wonders
  34. Hand-me-downs
  35. Flexible schedules that allow us to pick up the kids at 3:30pm 
  36. Growing extended families
  37. 24-hour grocery stores, pharmacies, and, yes, even Walmarts
  38. Extended warranties
  39. 3pm chocolate breaks
  40. Notes of cheer
  41. Making people smile
  42. Doing jigsaw puzzles of varying degrees of difficulty on the living room floor
  43. Finding the perfect present...on sale
  44. Black Friday
  45. After-Christmas clearance
  46. 24-hour Christmas carols
  47. Pumpkin flavored treats
  48. Living like no one else so I can, someday, give like no one else
  49. Sudoku
  50. Mindless John Grisham novels
  51. Actually finishing a book that is not a Grisham novel
  52. The willingness of my kids to help in the kitchen
  53. The ministries at Central Baptist Church
  54. Living in a town voted Best Place to Raise Your Children
  55. Finding "a little bit of humor" in day to day life
  56. The memories of teachers who impacted my life that surface almost daily
  57. Proverbs 31
  58. Being able to use my height for good...like reaching things for short people
  59.  Awesome medical insurance (Thanks to you, Sam & the federal government)
  60. That I now crave salad from time to time (Thanks Sam)
  61. Dimetapp
  62. The rare nights that my kids go to bed without whining
  63. The opportunities to pass on 2-lane roads
  64. Having family in a rural community that I can visit and relax with.  Then I can return home to my conveniences...
  65. The possibility of seeing snow while I'm "home" for Christmas
  66. Capturing so many of life's little moments on camera
  67. The beautiful, amazing talent of the dancers on So You Think You Can Dance
  68. The chunky rolls and blue eyes of my precious 7-month old
  69. The long legs and blond hair of my wild 3-year old
  70. The Jennie-booty and thick, brown hair of my intense 6-year old
  71. Gummy grins
  72. Sour gummy worms
  73. Neighbors who overlook our less-than-stellar landscaping of late
  74. The smell of fresh cut Christmas trees
  75. People who take the high road
  76. People who remind me that we are covered by God's grace
  77. Peace that surpasses all understanding
  78. Cookies
  79. Those moments that make you realize how small the world actually is
  80. The people I've never met but that make my life better every day
  81. The people who do the thankless tasks
  82. Compliments from strangers, particularly in regard to my kids
  83. The willingness of people to volunteer as coaches in Upwards programs
  84. All You magazine
  85. Not having to go hungry, cold, or shelter-less
  86. The Day Zero Project
  87. The emerald waters of Destin, Florida
  88. Sandwiches on sourdough bread
  89. Handwritten mail
  90. Never wondering "What Might Have Been"
  91. Being able to enjoy infancy instead of stressing about it
  92. Dilbert
  93. Finding out at the register that something is cheaper than I thought it was
  94. Tiny fingers and toes
  95. Hot beverages that warm my fingers
  96. Free refills
  97. Unexpected Christmas bonuses
  98. XM radio playing in the background
  99. The brilliant idea I had to take a break from the news during the month of December
  100. Marrying the man I found "true love" with
  101. Above all else...God's gift to the world
This reminds me of that old song we used to sing in church, "Count Your Blessings".  I couldn't possibly list everything I am thankful for.  But...in closing, may the words of this song resonate with you this Christmas.

When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

(refrain) Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your many blessings, see what God hath done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will keep singing as the days go by.

When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
Count your many blessings—wealth can never buy
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.

So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged, God is over all;
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Before you go, I'd love to hear from you! Let me know what's on your mind! (Please and thank you.)

Back to Top