14

A [Relatively] Simple Time and Place

Having lived in both the metropolitan area of a large mid-Atlantic city and the suburbs of a relatively small southern city, I would say that the latter suits me better. I had no idea that would be the case.

That being said, I don't think I can handle going much below the population of where I am right now (which is about 60,000).  I value my conveniences, shopping, and interstates too highly.  Perhaps in my retirement the idea of being 20 minutes from the nearest grocery store will sound appealing to me.  (Then again, perhaps it won't.)

And while I enjoy many conveniences in my small southern city, there is a strange dichotomy here.  We're just rural enough that I pass by fields of corn, cotton, and soybeans on my way to work (just a mile or so before passing the Kohls, Dunkin' Donuts, and mall).  The sight of these fields is refreshing, and I hope they are able to resist the sprawl and remain fields for many years to come.  The road that boasts the fields is a 55mph highway outside of our subdivision on which I have been stuck behind a tractor multiple times.  This very same roadis the one that, if you take ten miles south, will deliver you to Georgia's 1,100 acre Fairgrounds and Agricenter, which hosts I-don't-even-know-how-many livestock shows throughout the year.  People travel all over the state with their animals to show them off at the Agricenter.

I might know more about it if I were from around here.  Or if I liked animals even a little bit.

So what's the point?

As a result of our semi-rural, semi-urban dichotomy, I had the delight of enjoying an unsuspecting simple pleasure when I looked out my window at work the other day.  The sight brought an instant smile to my face, and of course, prompted me to pull out the camera, which I was so happy to have with me.


That, friends, is the tractor my boss's cousin drove over to wish him a Happy Birthday.  

Here I am, finding myself thankful to live in a rural-enough area that this is still possible.  I wonder if he'd have taken me through the Sonic drive-thru on his way back to work.  Because he could have.

The fact that there are tractors roaming about, parking between the lines, driving on 55 mph highways is, strangely enough, my simple pleasure today.

What's yours?

Linking up with Dayle's Simple Pleasure Party at...

14 comments:

Karen said...

You captured it! Only in rural USA. Those are my simple pleasures too. Joining you at Dayle's.
IN HIM,
Karen

Ms.Daisy said...

Jennie,
That is a great fun picture...so out of place yet not really! Living in a semi -rural area had many pleasures for sure. Love your Simple Pleasure.


~Jean

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Jennie, this made me giggle. :) I just love it! I want to live there! What a wonderful and unique Simple Pleasures.

Megan, Life Revamped said...

hmmm..pretty interesting!



hugs,
fickle
my Simple Pleasure

Denise said...

Being married to a farmer, I can so appreciate that pleasure. However, I don't think I've ever seen one "parked" outside of a business. It made me giggle. I love that you always have that camera on hand. I know someone else like that...wonder why?!

Cindy said...

Loving the rural USA. I know your pain when getting behind a slow moving tractor or anything of that nature when I am on the highway, but I wouldn't trade that for any big city and congestion.
Great simple pleasure!!

Debbie said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! It just cracked me up.
I am imagining you... trying to get the kids to school and then to work... stuck behind a tractor which eventually turns IN to your workplace.

I added that whole story in my head because it is the kind of thing that would happen to you. I just know it.

I also laughed at your comment about not loving animals even a bit. I think we really are two halves of a whole something-or-other.

elizabeth said...

Thanks for your kind remarks over at my place.
Love your simple pleasure today!
Elizabeth
http://justfollowingjesus.com

Sherri said...

Love it! We live in a wine-country and rodeo town. I love seeing grape harvesting machines stumbling down the road next to moms driving their kids to school...and when the rodeo is in town, I love seeing all the bad-ass cowboys in Starbucks and all our local restaurants in their huge hats!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this! I live in a rural area, and don't bat an eye when I see a tractor slowly rumbling down the street...but I've never seen one parked outside a business before! I would have pulled out my camera, too!

What a fun simple pleasure!

Nikki (Sarah) said...

love the picture! ☺☺

Elizabeth Dianne said...

Oh, that gave me a chuckle. Cute, cute post!

Joan Hall said...

I love small town living. Several years ago, I worked in a bank. One day we had a "first" when a customer road his horse through the drive through. Only in small town America.

Blessings,
Joan

Kathleen said...

Simple pleasures pop up where you least expect them don't they? I understand this one completely. TFS.

Post a Comment

Before you go, I'd love to hear from you! Let me know what's on your mind! (Please and thank you.)

Back to Top