It's easier if you do it...

Those of you who know my mom know that she is...a character. Really, there's no other way to describe her. She can bring a room to life in an instant. She's never at a loss for words. And, despite often saying things before realizing their implications, I genuinely think that she does mean well.

As for my dad, he's a trooper, to say the least.

Anyway, one particular exchange between the two of them has come to play over and over again in my mind...as life constantly reminds me of the situation.

When we lived in Joppatowne, one of my dad's most-loathed tasks was doing anything that involved going in the attic. We had a lifetime worth of junk stored up there, and we were constantly adding to it. I can't remember if it was after Christmas or at some other random point during the year, and it doesn't really matter. My mom had apparently collected enough of a pile of junk to warrant pulling down the attic steps and fighting with the attic.

In a casual exchange after dinner, she said to my dad, "I have a bunch of stuff that needs to go up in the attic. I was going to take care of it, but it's easier if you do it."

He replied with a shake of his head and a chuckle, "Of course it is."

I don't think she meant to utter such telling words. Surely she had no idea of the societal implications of "it's easier if you do it", but isn't that our mentality in general? I can't be fooled up with doing something myself...I'll let someone else take care of it. I want someone else to take responsibility for me and my actions/piles of junk. This little phrase "It's easier if you do it" has become a running joke in our family.

I think I should give serious thought to devoting this entire blog to my mother. I'd never run out of material. God love her.

1 comments:

Brooke said...

I love your mom!! The party never starts until she arrives. :)

Post a Comment

Before you go, I'd love to hear from you! Let me know what's on your mind! (Please and thank you.)

Back to Top