7

Where I Try to Avoid Addressing the Chick-Fil-A Situation - and Fail

Must.  Resist.  The.  Urge.  To.  Write.  About.  Chick-Fil-A. 

I had an entire post composed, and I deleted it. 

My stomach hurts.

As much as I preach the absolutes of the Bible - and I mean it, there is right and wrong - I'm not going to go there today. 

Mr. Cathy made a statement to a Christian press organization that defends his and his family's biblical worldview.  This is shocking to the majority of the population because most Christians don't even have a biblical worldview.  The Barna Group conducted a survey that indicates only 9% of adults and only 19% of born-again Christians fall into that category. 

According to the website stating the findings of the survey:  
A biblical worldview was defined as believing that absolute moral truths exist; that such truth is defined by the Bible; and firm belief in six specific religious views. Those views were that Jesus Christ lived a sinless life; God is the all-powerful and all-knowing Creator of the universe and He stills rules it today; salvation is a gift from God and cannot be earned; Satan is real; a Christian has a responsibility to share their faith in Christ with other people; and the Bible is accurate in all of its teachings.
Postmodernism and secular humanism are the popular worldviews right now.  Why does it matter?  Your worldview determines how you look at things. 
A worldview serves as a person’s decision-making filter, enabling them to make sense of the complex and huge amount of information, experiences, relationships and opportunities they face in life. By helping to clarify what a person believes to be important, true and desirable, a worldview has a dramatic influence on a person’s choices in any given situation.
Consider that Truett Cathy founded his company based on two things - chicken and the Bible.  When you consider that's how he views the world - it's no surprise that his son, Dan, also views the world in the same way. According to Chick-Fil-A's statement of purpose the business exists "To glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us. To have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A."  I can't speak for Chick-Fil-A across America, but I know that in central Georgia - this holds true.  Their involvement in the community and just their spirit inside the store is exemplary.  I truly believe that God is prospering this company and its founders, and will continue to do so - whether here on earth or eternally.

A final thought to consider from Barna:
If Jesus Christ came to this planet as a model of how we ought to live, then our goal should be to act like Jesus. Sadly, few people consistently demonstrate the love, obedience and priorities of Jesus. The primary reason that people do not act like Jesus is because they do not think like Jesus. Behavior stems from what we think - our attitudes, beliefs, values and opinions. Although most people own a Bible and know some of its content, our research found that most Americans have little idea how to integrate core biblical principles to form a unified and meaningful response to the challenges and opportunities of life. We're often more concerned with survival amidst chaos than with experiencing truth and significance.
 I could go on and on about what it means or doesn't mean to be a "so-called Christian" and I could talk for days about Absolute Truth.  But, today, let's just try to be like Jesus.  And that starts with respect.

Mr. Cathy, I respect your biblical worldview.  Maybe that's because I share it. 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Jennie - I wish we could be friends in real life...I have yet to read a post where you share your heart and it doesn't almost identically align with my own. Jennie, I respect your biblical worldview and appreciate your willingness to share it.

Chris Moore3575 said...

Very thoughtful blog. How does it feel to be Awesome?

Chris Moore3575 said...

Very thoughtful blog. How does it feel to be Awesome?

aprilthornton said...

I support their morals and right to free speech but not their menu. Their food is laden with MSG, HFCS, GMO's and anti-foaming chemicals. As a Christian, I want to honor God with my body and not pollute it with known neurotoxins and carcinogens. Their moral values may have a positive influence on the community, but their food has a very negative effect on the health of those they serve. I would really like to see their menu choices aligning with God's standards set forth in His word in addition to the God-honoring principles they promote as a company. But they have chosen to go the way of the world on that issue and opted for menu items that turn the highest profit. :(

Debbie said...

For several weeks prior to this big brouhaha, our class has been studying Luke 6:27-38. I had left it "finished" the week before. Still, there were lingering questions from some in the class about how to live under the yoke of these verses. What the Cathys gave me last week was a concrete example of how it's done. They not only modeled the difference between having a Biblical world view and judging, (THEY never judged based on scriptural definition. Their persecutors, on the other hand, did.) but they also modeled the appropriate response to being on the receiving end of vile hatred.

As we revisited the passage for one more week, many of us were convicted that if they can do it in such a huge way, we can certainly retrain our "hot buttons" to react scripturally as well.

What they have given me this week in example is far above rubies. Therefore, on Wednesday, we responded with an eye to Luke 6:38.

I disagree with the previous comment regarding the health issue, but to each his own.

Debbie said...

And there is a kid missing from your sideboard. She needs some alliteration and a picture.

Signed,

The fourth born child who doesn't have enough baby pictures

Jennie said...

Chrystal: Thank you! I would so love to be friends with you in "real life" too!

April: I admire your convictions on food - and all I can do is tip my hat to you. I suspect you have trouble dining out in general, not just at fast food establishments. I have always been under the impression that CFA is one of the "better" choices in regards to the quality of the food they sell. Then again, I don't know much about it!

Mrs. Debbie: I've been meaning to get poor Leah on there for...well, nearly 5 months now. Poor girl. I'll get right on it! Thanks, as always for your understanding. I have lost more sleep than I should have because of this topic, and I fear it was my desire to be "right" winning out over my desire to speak the truth in love. I love Luke 6:38, especially as it pertains to this subject.

Post a Comment

Before you go, I'd love to hear from you! Let me know what's on your mind! (Please and thank you.)

Back to Top