0

And Another Thing

It has come to my attention that some people think that they are owed things in this life. 

Case and point:  A certain mom on a message board I read believes that the Georgia lottery owes all preschool aged children a spot in the state funded pre-k. 

To which I sat on my hands and didn't type back the following:

I think the point is that since pre-k isn't *required*, there's no point in worrying about it regardless of whether your child was chosen or not.  If they get in to a free program, you can count your blessings that they get that opportunity.  If they don't you can count your blessings that they have another year to be a kid.  The Georgia state lottery doesn't owe every child the chance to be enrolled in pre-k.  It's a privilege.  

Furthermore, you have to consider the other fund that the lottery pays into…the HOPE scholarship which enables deserving students to attend public colleges in Georgia for free.  I guess what it boils down to is, do you want to take away a college education from someone so that a handful of kids can go to pre-k?  I don't think I would.  Just my two cents.

Aren't you proud of me for resisting?

The examples don't stop at this and they didn't start with this either.  People think that they are owed lots of things...like vacation time, healthcare, a better parking space, for everyone to bow down to them when they enter the room, whatever.  I don't think we're owed much in this life.  In fact, I think we need to be grateful for just about everything...even the bad stuff (that's right I'm going that far).  Even the hardships in our lives teach us about ourselves and if we never went through it, how would we learn?

The things I have, I owe to God.  The things I owe to other people are my respect, my courtesy, and whatever help I can give them.  I'm trying.  I'm doing my best.

All I ask is that the next time you start to place blame, complain, or that you feel that someone owes you something, stop and think.  Look inward.  Where is *your* responsibility in the matter?  Consider...is this something I am owed?  Or is a privilege that I missed out on?  Chances are it's the latter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Before you go, I'd love to hear from you! Let me know what's on your mind! (Please and thank you.)

Back to Top